Saturday, July 28, 2012

Snowball Fight! {Week 4}

Do you save your snowballs' HSTs? Good, because now you have a whole other quilt!

Here's a Moda Bake Shop tutorial with several different HST layouts.

I'm planning on this one, because there's stars in the pattern.
{Leftovers from the Layer Cake Snowballs make a 12x14 layout, 30x35"}

One of my favorite non-traditional HST layout is Debbie's from A Quilter's Table.

Need more inspiration? There's a whole Flickr Group for that.

Or you can toss like-sized HSTs in a bag - I have my Nine-Patch-Snowballs leftovers in with my leftovers from my Blue Bowties. At 1.5", they're pretty tiny, so I'll add more bonus-HST before I decide what to make. Someday.

Week Three of the Layer Cake Snowballs
 Assembly!

Alternating color corners, sew together seven rows of six blocks.
{57x67"}
You can either lay it out in advance, or wing it. Press each row in alternating directions, and I pressed my final seams open.

My layer cake had a lot of directional prints, so I planned out each row as I went along, but I didn't worry too much about where everything ended up as long as they were right side up.

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty! That's a great pattern for direction prints. So is this one for you or is it a Christmas gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hst's are so versatile. Thanks for the shout-out...enjoy using your 'leftovers!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hsts are prime suspect for getting me into a lot of quilty goodness!! Love your snowball quilt. It's so fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love snowball blocks! Yours are especially pretty! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowball is on my to do list and July is the perfect time - maybe next summer. I just used my left over HST from Swoon to make star tips to go in the quilt - thankfully they were bigger than 1.5 - that's pretty tiny.

    ReplyDelete