Thursday, June 26, 2014

Running T-Shirt Quilt - Finished!

So, this is a pretty fun finish. I was contacted by a Marathon Maniac/Half Fanatic to make a t-shirt quilt from her mostly-Disney race shirts.


{Sorry...we had a limited window to take pictures and the weather didn't cooperate! I did not want it touching the wet ground and the wind was a pita, as you can see below.}

I tried to space out the Disney shirts as much as possible. She also wanted the sleeve logos of the parks - which actually helped the layout design when they could go on the sides or tops or bottoms. Sometimes I need something skinny to fill it out!


I also had to piece two shirts into bigger blocks. The Berlin one was harder than I thought. The Indianapolis one just required picking out the side seams to preserve every last centimeter. Sometimes I wonder if race directors ever consider the needs of the future quilt designers! ;)

I pieced blocks with her MM/HF numbers. Random fact: she's called a "Double Agent" and I don't believe those are numbered, though they ought to be.


I quilted it with loops, some stars, and a few hidden Mickeys. Because why not? After consulting with the longarm rental ladies, I picked a steely-blue-grey that blended with most of the shirts.


The backing is a purple chevron and the binding is a tiny purple floral I had in my stash. I wasn't sure how well anything would look considering all the colors in the quilt, but I think the binding worked!

And of course, both cats were involved.


CC from the beginning {and most steps in between.}


And Tycho tested it out at the flimsy stage.

Quilt Details
Fabric: t-shirts {notably, they are all technical t-shirts}
Backing: purple chevron flannel
Binding: no selvage info
Size: 52x72"
Pattern: my design {I print 1/10 graph paper and puzzle it together}

Also of note: I am still working out the details, but I've started pulling together a page with t-shirt quilt information. I contacted someone to make a logo, started saving receipts, and will be making slow changes to the blog over the summer. Figured it was about time I started acting like a business. :D

6 comments:

  1. You go!! T-shirt quilt queen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is fabulous, great use of every bit of T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job! My aunt is going to send me a pile of travel t-shirts, so I'll be on my way soon. You will always be my inspiration, and I will credit you with every stitch I make! Hee hee. Now I feel like I should call the radio station and dedicate a song to you!

    Now I just sound crazy. Long story short, you are a t-shirt quilt goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking t-shirt quilt. Got to love those pretty kitty quilty helpers ... what would we do without them? ... ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait until I have enough shirts stashed up for a large quilt--at about 10-15 now. Poor SO will have to just put up with all of my crafting work AND running AND running shirt quilt. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete