Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Come Sail Away - Top Finished

So as I mentioned yesterday, the sailboat quilt top is done!
I was wrong about the piecing - the water went together way faster than the sky. But at least that meant I got the hard part over with first!
There are a few places I wish there were less seams, or I had spent more time making sure the water "flowed" the right way, or I hadn't used the lightest colored sails against the sky, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
It's about 50x45" - I'll get a better measure after I starch and press it.
I named it "Come Sail Away" because when my parents go on a cruise, my dad always calls as the ship pulls away from the dock to sing that song. Yeah, we have some weird family traditions.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know others have "quirky", fun things in their family, too :-) I absolutely am in love with your quilt. My Mom's favorite thing are lighthouses and sailboats. Growing up, we lived on a lake and she was an Auxiliary Coast Guard Commander. Can you please let me know where you got the pattern because I know this quilt (or one like it) would really be special for her. Thanks!
    Mary Ann from Rocknquilts, wife of USAF Ret. MSgt.

    ReplyDelete