Friday, May 16, 2014

Cat Tails - Finished!

This one didn't linger too longer on the UFO pile. It was slowed down by the move, and a delay in getting more background fabric, but it got done just over a year after I started it. That's really not that bad, for me!


Cat Tails was born from this pattern, although I knew from the start that I didn't want any incomplete cats. That means, of course, I planned it out and knew how many fewer cats to make when I started the quilt.


Haha, yeah, right. I just merrily made cats until I was done with my fat quarters, and only when it was finally laid out did I realize that it was going to be HUGE.


But, you know, my family expanded this week with the finalization of my younger son's adoption, so we need a bigger couch blanket to snuggle all of us. See, I did have a plan!


I used Civil War reproduction fabrics because I love the rich tones with this pattern. I can't quite imagine it in the neon of the original pattern. Plus, I got to use some fat quarters that I got for free in shop hops, giveaways, or just didn't know what I was thinking when I bought them.


Weird blue ferny-thing looks okay as a cat.

If you care about matching directional prints, this is NOT the pattern for you. I normally care, but decided to throw caution to the wind on this one.


I used the same background fabric in several different projects, and to my horror, ran out with a half yard to go. And no one around here carried Dimples, which I thought was the most basic of basics! I ended up sending a scrap to the actual Dimples store, and they quickly matched it and sent it back to me. Excellent service!


I'm still not sure how I feel about the quilting. On the one hand, I watched a series of videos on swirls and I love the quilting in the background.

I knew I wanted to do more than an allover design with the cats, but I wasn't sure what. Because - ugh - the thought of changing colors so often, and all those threads to tie off...


After consulting with my long-arm rental place ladies, I decided on a spiky...thing in each cat. I don't love it, but I'm not changing it, so I'll learn to at least like it.



And it makes the back look weirdly impressive.


Wrapped it all up with a binding from the thrift store. It's more of a 50s reproduction, so the blues and reds are bit brighter than the cats, but I think it's a good frame.

Quilt Details
Fabric: various reproduction fabrics, Dimples beige
Backing: blue flannel
Binding: no selvage info
Size: 78x87"
Pattern: Kool Kats Kwilt {modified}

Linked:

16 comments:

  1. That is LOVELY!!!! I want to make one SO bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful quilt which is so much better with "complete" cats. Who ever thought we would make a quilt with partial cats is off their 'nip. LOL! Looks like all 3 of the kids (furry and not) are enjoying it! I just love the movement of the asymetrical cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt! I like the quilting done on it and the binding is perfect. Congratulations on your son! I love your tuxedo cat too, I also have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kitties! even better, spinning dizzy kitties! nice color combination and a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new additional is adorable. He looks like a young Cho that is on The Mentalist. Hope the transition for everyone goes smoothly. I am so thrilled for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing. Great pattern and great fabric choice! The quilting looks fabulous. Best whishes for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW>...your quilt is wonderful....your colour choices etc. VERY inspirational. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I've made a four cat wall hanging in this pattern but your very large cat tangle is terrific. Your new son is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the reproduction fabrics on this, it makes more sense. The long arm work on the backside makes me think of the swirls in Starry Night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! How great for you to have this one finished AND to be enjoyed by your whole family! SO glad you son is now home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting gives this quilt awesome movement, but the best part was seeing the quilt with both boys. I am so excited he is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it all, but I especially love those little men on your couch!

    The quilting is fun. I get it, when you don't love it, but trying something new is a good thing. It must be nice to have the ladies to consult with when you're quilting. I'm in a vacuum somewhat. My sis-in-law is always trying to get me to do what she does, but I'm not there yet, and I prefer less quilting to more because it's softer that way.

    I digress. Bottom line - great job. Love how well planned out it was. Nudge nudge wink wink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, you have little man home and on the couch! How does The Dude feel about being a big brother?

    Congrats on finishing Cat Tails! It turned out nicely. I like that you didn't make any partial cats. They look cool just floating there in the middle of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to look at this quilt! Beautifully! Original! Carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every link I try to click on to get the pattern says page not found. Is there anyway to send it to me. Thank you very much.. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete