Friday, September 6, 2013

Weighted Blanket and Cover

A fairly quick project, once I got the concept. My niece has been pulling at her hair at night, so I suggested a weighted blanket to hopefully curb that tic.

{Someday I won't have moving boxes in the corner of my pictures. Someday.}

The weighted blanket tutorial is on Confessions of a Fabric Addict

I read it about twenty times before I understood that all those 4.5" folded strips were envelope pockets, not pocket pockets. I'm blonde.

I pieced together several of the 7" strips from leftovers of the 9" strips, because goodness knows I wouldn't want to waste one bit of a $2 estate sale sheet set. I also used the fitted sheet first, which made for a delightfully askew little blanket.

But that's okay, because the cover was done from a not-quite-grain-printed panel, so everything is just a smidge...slanted. {Not just my photography!}

The panel was "Close to my Heart" by Faye Burgos for Marcus Fabrics. I assume the butterflies in the middle are the same, since they match. Brown dot from stash, pink side borders from Connecting Threads. Back is purple dot minkee.

Despite {or because of?} the wonkiness of the fabric, it all fits together well. I quilted the top of the cover, since it was pieced, with more of the purple sheet on the back.

And as a plus - since my mother had to carry it in her suitcase, I got out of having to fill baggies with polybeads! My sister is handling that fun part of the activity.

Oh, and total sidenote - the bridal shower I threw for my sister is featured on Hostess With the Mostess today!

Linked:

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your finish. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Crazy Mom Quilts. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I love how this sweet little quilt finished up. I'm sure it will bring a restful sleep and lovely dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't waste those estate sale sheets! I'm always trying to get every last inch out of the ones in my stash. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute little project. I've never heard of a weighted blanket and ended up doing a bit of research on the subject. It's an interesting idea.

    Your sister's bridal shower looked beautiful! Love all the purple highlights.

    ReplyDelete